Monday, July 15, 2013

Chance of a Lifetime

Holy balls. I'M GOING TO PLAY SOCCER AT RED BULL ARENA! The arena is one of the only arena's in the world that was specifically built for soccer and considering I spent the first 18 years of my life playing soccer I'm beyond excited. 

I stopped playing soccer competitively when I shattered my ankle sliding into home when I was 20...8 screws and a plate later my soccer career ended. I played intramurally a few more years after then but would sprain my ankle every few games and at some point I just threw in the towel. BUT NOW....I've got to get back in the game. My ankle has been pretty steady for the past few years (only 3-4 sprains/knock on wood) and I think if I tape it then I should get back on the field in a rec league to prepare. 

The other thing is that I'm a goalie-- always have been--but being a goalie against women is way different than playing goal with guys behind the ball. There's no way our team can be competitive with me in goal...so I've got to re-learn how to play in the field. The last time I played the field I got slide tackled and tore every single ligament and tendon in my ankle...but that was a dirty play. And, it was 15 years ago.

So, here I go...back into the world of soccer. For a chance of a lifetime. Thank you Red Bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment