Saturday, September 7, 2013

We Swam with Pete...and lived to blog about it.

One of my Tri inspirations, Christina, who for the record is doing an IronMan tomorrow, told me about this Open Water Swim situation called "Swim with Pete". She gave me Pete's email address and told him that I had 3 newbies wanting to come out...so he sent me directions and the details around the swim.

We weren't sure what to expect other than to show up in a parking lot at Red Top Mountain on Lake Allatoona-- so we did. Paul, Laura-Lynn and I were ready to go.....and so was the rest of Atlanta's Triathlon community. There were more Multi Thousand dollar bikes in this parking lot and in-shape people in one place than I've seen in a while. It was a little intimidating.

Pete, an older man, who I presume to be a swim coach of sorts, gathered us all together and gave instructions about the buoys-- the distance between them, how to help someone if they are drowning, etc. Lucky for the 3 of us there was a 400 yard loop laid out really nicely which is the distance of our swim for the race.

We all swam it once with Laura Lynn and Paul handily kicking my ass. Then we chatted with Pete for a while...he gave us some great tips and we went at it again. I decided to go it alone for a third lap and finally started to feel more comfortable. Swimming is fun...but it seems to be about a rhythm which I haven't yet found-- and I gots rhythm.

Pete gave me some great coaching while I was swimming too...every 10 strokes look up and see the buoy...go at your own pace...try to stay calm-- he reminded me there was no prize money on the line...

Next week, we'll go back and bring our bikes so we can bike afterwards.



PS...turns out I wasn't too embarrassed to walk around in my bathing suit, which for the record...doesn't happen normally without a cute coverup and great sandals...

No comments:

Post a Comment